Thursday, August 8, 2013

Top 10 Quarterbacks 25 and Under: Colin Kaepernick

Colin Kaepernick
Strengths
Colin Kaepernick came out of nowhere leading his team to the Super Bowl in only 10 starts. In the playoffs against Green Bay (one of the best teams in the league) he set a playoff record with 163 yards the most rushing yards in the playoffs by a quarterback. He is talented beyond belief, being able to throw darts but having the size and speed to be a punishing runner. He is bigger than RGIII which makes him more durable. He can also make great throws forcing the defense to take make a tough decision on defending his run. His arm strength is phenomenal and he will never under throw a wide receiver. His release is also quick and he throws with an insane amount of  velocity.
Weaknesses
Many of Kapernick’s issues with me are because he has only started 10 games so he hasn’t truly been challenged, which all QBs have eventually. His chemistry is off which is to be expected when you haven’t even started a full 16 games. I question his consistency because he has not shown me enough that he will stay as good as he is now or even improve. I also wonder how he will perform when the read-option begins to fade away, and defenses figure it out. I also question his maturity when some light was shed on the “Dolphin Hat” scandal. It seems to me his fame has gone to his head a little bit, which would worry me if I was a “Niner” fan.
Bottom line

Kaepernick is exhilarating, and like many of the QBs on this list is a highlight waiting to happen. I want to see him play for longer so that I can really see how he performs with a city on his shoulders. He is a hit or miss who has a strong chance to be great but I could also see him fade away into NFL lore.

No comments:

Post a Comment